December 7, 2015

Maze Runner Fanfiction - "The Second Chance Part 4" No Spoilers

Alright, I know it's been about a month now, but I finally have part 4! I put a lot of time into this one and I hope you like it! Don't forget to comment your thoughts, I really am interested in what you think of my writing. Comment what you predict will happen, or what you want to happen! Hopefully part 5 wont take as long! I think I use explication marks too much, oh well! (see what I did there?)

Click here for a link to part 1
Click here for a link to part 2
Click here for a link to part 3
Click here for a link to part 5
Click here for a link to part 6
Click here for a link to part 7
Click here for a link to part 8
Click here for a link to part 9


The second chance part 4


The following Monday morning, Newt and Thomas made their appearance at school. Their morning teachers piled work on them as if they were pack mules. People swarmed them in every class, wanting details of the crash. It wasn't until lunch when they were able to just sit. The boys found each other in the crowded lunch room. They sat down at their usual table with some friends.


“Newt, Thomas, it's been so long! How are you feeling?” Teresa asked when they sat down.


“All we could get out of Newt was you were in a coma, what happened?” Added Minho.


“Hold on, let them sit down for a minute,” Alby looked around at the multi-aged group.


“Well, there's not much to tell. We got in a car crash, and a month later I woke up from a coma,” Thomas and Newt had made an agreement not to share their feelings for each other with anyone. Not even their best friends. They weren't ready to come out yet.  A few other people came up to them and said hi, but for the most part they were left in peace. Near the end of lunch, a girl walked up behind Thomas.


“Thomas! Is that you?” Thomas turned around to see Carly, an X girlfriend who never left Thomas alone. She was pretty with long brown hair and brown eyes. Tall too. Thomas broke up with her because she was too clingy. She never quite understood they were over though.


“Hey, Carly,” he replied cautiously, and the table quited.


“Oh my gosh, where have you been? I haven't seen you anywhere!” She squealed. Newt tensed up protectively next to Thomas.
No one seemed to notice it but Thomas.


“He-” Thomas cut Newt off before he could finish.


“I’ve just been sick, that's all,” Thomas turned back to his food, hoping Carly would take the hint.


“You should have told me, and I could have brought you some soup or something! See you later I guess!” Carly touched a hand to Thomas’s shoulder before trotting away. The whole table sighed once she was out of earshot.


After school, Newt drove them home. They sat in Newt’s room and started on their mound of homework.


“I don't know about you, but I need a break,” Newt sighed after a few hours.


“Good idea... Wanna go to the park?” Thomas suggested. He stretched and thought for a moment before nodding. They went down stairs, and Thomas grabbed Newt’s basketball.


“Where’re you guys going?” Sonya asked from her spot on the couch.


“Out,” Thomas answered vaguely.


“Don't you both have a ton of homework to do?”


“Yes, what's your point lill’ sis?” Newt joked as they went outside. Finally, they made it to the park. They were alone with the big soccer field and basketball hoops.


“Alright, you up for some one on one Newt?” Thomas passed the ball to him.


“Sure. I've got to beat you this time,” Thomas had always been the more athletic one, and Newt had lost to him countless times in every sport. There was no messing around when you played with Thomas. As the boys played, Newt couldn't help but watch Thomas’s body as he jumped and snapped his wrist to make a perfect layup. The sweat that ran down his strong arms. Concentration and dedication evident in his eyes, completely oblivious to Newt's watching gase. Thomas did win with an almost perfect score, but Newt secretly  blamed it on his distracting opponent.


“Come on, once more. I know I can beat you!” Newt wiped the sweat from his face.


“Alright, whoever makes the next basket,” Thomas threw the ball to Newt and got in a defensive position. Newt started dribbling and went for it, attempting to dodge around Thomas. Just as he thought he had made it, Thomas sprang in front of him at the last second. Newt tried to stop but stumbled forwarded into Thomas, losing the ball. Thomas’s arms wrapped around Newt to catch his fall. Embarrassed, Newt looked at him and tried to stand up, but Thomas kept holding him. Thomas’s eyes fluttered down to Newt’s lips and he kissed him. A minute later Newt pulled away.


“Thomas, what are we?” Newt shook his head.


“What do you mean?” Thomas asked, searching Newt’s eyes for an answer.


“I mean what are we even doing? Are we a couple? Are we just friends? What about when I leave for college? The school year is almost finished!” He sighed.


“Newt, I-I thought you wanted this?” Thomas let go of him.


“I do… But what are we going to tell people? What about when I leave? I just don't want to lose you again,” Newt closed his eyes and rested his forehead on Thomas’s.


“I know Newt. Don't worry about that right now. All that matters to me is what's happening right now,” Thomas took Newt by his shoulders and looked at him. “And if people find out, oh well. Okay?”


“Okay, okay” Newt nodded and leaned into Thomas’s embrace, trying to let go of his worry. “We should get back to work,” he sighed, stepping away from Thomas to get the ball.


They walked back to Newt's house together and worked on their homework again, only stopping to eat supper. When it was getting late, Thomas stole a little goodnight kiss on the cheek from Newt, and climbed back through his window for the night.


“Goodnight Tommy.”

“Goodnight Newtie!” Thomas smirked and closed his window. Newt lay in bed with a warm feeling in his chest, and fell asleep almost instantly. Maybe things would work out ok after all.